Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Morning Light


posted by Mary Lello, Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 7:23 AM

My best friend MaryMargaret (MM) helped to get me outside this morning. We went to the power lines off Tuttle Road - which, as strange as it sounds - are really very beautiful. The sun rises behind us as we walk/run out the power lines and today the tops of the trees were ignited with a rose colored glow that just makes me stop and, today, breathe.

I also love being out there after a dusting of snow so I can see what Ella is sniffing at so intently. Today there were deer tracks, fox, other human with dog and a ton of turkey (OK, I think the correct term is 'covey). In fact Ella flushed about 10 gigantic birds out of the woods. She is such a bird dog. Truth be told, she ran after one bird until she found some of their droppings and then thought this was far more interesting then the actual birds themselves - so the turkey's all got away safely. It always amazes me when a bird that big can actually lift off and fly away.

Jim is waking around 8:00 these mornings. He will do a little meditation before getting up. It's good to see him back to his Buddhist practice. Betsy, the PT gal, told us that meditating and other relaxing techniques are so important right now. "Stress feeds the tumor". And we'll be damned if we are going to give the tumor

any more of a fighting chance!

We are entering a new, or next, step. I go back to work today. Donna leaves on Saturday and it feels like our right arm is going to get cut off. But Stacie says, someone else will be there to step in and help. And I DO know this. I know there is that 'silent tribe' of people out there waiting to just be told how they can help. I'm just a little scared about how it will all work.

We still have not gotten the final lab results yet. Amazes me it takes this long but the holidays play a big part in this for sure. Jim has stopped asking about what it will mean. I think he is accepting the "be here now". But all of you know that Jim's real mantra was always "be THERE now!" ... it's hard but we're doing just OK.

We need to start taking notes of each and every improvement we see in JIm each day. This is good for him to see as benchmarks. Yesterday he was able to put the toothpaste on his toothbrush by himself. He's been shaving himself since getting home from the hospital. We may also need to start making goals - small ones! Not go for a trail run or get on his bike!! - but be able to read an entire section of the newspaper or write his own announcement/post on this page .... you get the drift.

So, I must get ready for work now. We shall keep you all posted on whatever we hear when we hear.

Thank you all, we love you!

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment