Saturday, August 8, 2009

August 4th


posted by Mary Lello, Tuesday, August 4, 2009, 7:08 PM

Today is my 53rd birthday. When I was young and tried to imagine where I would be and what I would be doing when I was, oh, 53, THIS was never even a speck on my radar. But here we are.

I woke this morning and didn't even remember it was my birthday until my friend, Chess, showed up with cut flowers from her garden for me. Another Leo lioness, we don't forget each others birthdays. I remembered hers but forgot mine.

Jim use to wake on past Aug 4 mornings and the first thing he would say to me would be "Happy Birthday to you!". This year there are other things on our minds, other things far more important, other milestones to celebrate.

I went to work today and wrote 8/4/56 ... oops 8/4/09 .... on all my intake notes today. August fourth .... oh, right.

Usually Jim and I would go out for a really nice dinner somewhere on my birthday. Jim has always been amazing at finding me presents too. He taught me how to clothes shop for myself helping me learn what looks good versus dumpy on me. He's ALWAYS found the best little something for a present and always with a lot of thought put into it. Knowing me as well as he does he was able to find me perfect gifts - they didn't have to be big, nor are we talking expensive, but just ... me. Just... perfect.

Tonight I came home from work and Jim was at meditation. Tonight I realized that my 53rd year would be celebrated with a manhattan and an hour by myself - which is a cherished thing these days. Jim got home around 7:30 and Jane was carrying a small, festive looking bag. ????? When she left Jim presented me with this bag. Inside was ... pure magic. Pure tears. Pure love. How to explain the immense emotions I feel for this man - as compromised as he is right now - remembering to do this ... for me. I still can't stop crying. I've been around my sister the play write, Karmo, too much as I think that THIS would be the scene where the theater would not have a dry eye in it.

But honest to God, HOW did he pull this off? He went shopping today with our friend/caretaker, Kristine. And, I believe JIm picked these items out for me. God, to be a fly on that wall in order to watch him do all this. It's just a wee bit overwhelming for me. I'm slightly astounded at how he pulled this all off, how he honored me more then he can ever imagine, how he remembered this, when I had forgotten!

And tonight there is an orange full moon rising. August 4th. It's been the most amazing, joyful, tearful birthday I've ever had. THIS may be the birthday I never forget for the rest of my life!

Full moon, full love tonight,

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment